Police: DIS bomb threat still “an active investigation”

 

By Dominic Aragon
June 30, 2017

 

The investigation into a bomb threat made against the Daytona International Speedway Thursday is still open, the Daytona Beach Police Chief told The Racing Experts Friday.

“This is an active investigation,” Police Chief Craig Capri said.

The Daytona Beach Police Department is working with the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office on the investigation, but DBPD did not disclose details on a possible suspect or suspects at the time of publication.

The Police Chief says there should be no extra delays for fans entering and exiting the speedway throughout the race weekend.

Our crews at DIS say they noticed an increase in security and law enforcement in and around the facility.

According to a Daytona Beach Police Department incident report, the law enforcement agency received a call at approximately 3 p.m. Eastern time Thursday, with the caller stating multiple bombs had been planted on the property of the speedway.

Authorities say the caller threatened to detonate the devices if an undisclosed amount of money was not paid.

The department says a sweep of the grandstands and the infield turned up nothing Thursday.

Authorities are requesting anyone with information to call the Daytona Beach Police Criminal Investigations Division at (386) 671-5202.

IMAGES
Jeremy Thompson/The Racing Experts