Kyle Busch concerned about costs of operations
By Zachary Lange
May 25, 2017
CONCORD, N.C.—Costs of operations and a lack of sponsorship involvement has owner and Joe Gibbs Racing driver Kyle Busch worried for the future after the closure of Red Horse Racing earlier this week.
“They’re just aren’t any big sponsors, there aren’t any Fortune 500 companies,” Busch said. “There is not enough people on TV, there is not enough people in the stands…the sponsorship just doesn’t come, they just don’t care.”
Busch admitted to using his own personal funds for the operations of Kyle Busch Motorsports, who currently fields three full-time trucks in the Camping World Truck Series. The 32-year-old cites the costs of his organization annually at around $3.2 million for each truck.
“I wouldn’t say that the current model is working for us, I just think we are content with the amount of money that we are spending that makes it worth our while,” Busch said.
One of the biggest concerns monetarily is the rising cost of the car that has underwent several changes in the past few years. Busch stated that there has been some speculation as to how to cut costs for teams with modifications to the engine and body.
Late last season, it was reported by Motorsport.com’s Lee Spencer that pit crews may be reduced from six to five men over the wall.
“Your biggest expense is your people and that is where it all comes from,” Busch said. “We just keep working on it, keep trying and make it work as best we can for us.”
Ryan Willard/The Racing Experts