Starr looking forward to return to Cup Series
By Dominic Aragon
November 5, 2017
It has been six years since David Starr drove in NASCAR’s premier series, but the Texas native will be one of the 40 starters in the AAA Texas 500 Sunday.
Flash back to 2011; that’s the last time Starr competed in a Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race.
Starr, a veteran of the Camping World Truck Series, was tabbed as the driver of the No. 95 Ford for the upstart Leavine Fenton Racing in January 2011 for an original schedule of six races.
The team attempted a total of eight races in 2011, ultimately qualifying for four events. Starr’s highest finish was a 27th-place effort at Bristol in August.
Two weeks later, Starr qualified in what would be his last start for the team at Atlanta.
The deal lasted one season, as the team worked with Scott Speed in 2012.
Since the Cup Series deal, Starr has had full-time deals in the XFINITY Series and Camping World Truck Series, but had not attempted to qualify for Cup Series race until this weekend.
The 50-year-old will pull double-duty this weekend, as he will pilot the No. 66 Chevrolet for MBM Motorsports. The team, who made its first MENCS start earlier this year, has now seen three drivers wheel the No. 66 car.
Starr said he considers team owner and driver Carl Long a good friend, recalling how he was offered the opportunity to drive the Cup Series car.
“You should come drive the car one time, try it,” Starr remembered Long saying to him.
Starr, who was able to put sponsorship together for the race, qualified 33rd in his return to the series Friday at Texas Motor Speedway, the track where he made his Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series debut at in 2011.
The goal on Sunday for Starr and the team is to be as competitive as possible with the equipment, and be running at the finish.
“I think we finish the race and everybody did the best they could do with the equipment we have, that’s the success,” Starr said.
Starr hopes this opportunity in the Cup Series could turn into more races in 2018. He said he will be back competing within NASCAR next season.
“I will be racing next year in the NASCAR XFINITY Series,” Starr said. “If we can run, I don’t know, 10, 12 races on the [Cup Series schedule], that would be really cool.”
Jeremy Thompson/The Racing Experts NASCAR via Getty Images