DAYTONA BEACH, FLA. — NASCAR announced the 15 nominees for the Hall of Fame’s class of 2024 and the five nominees for the Hall’s Landmark Award.
Iconic driver-crew chief duo Jimmie Johnson and Chad Knaus are on the Modern Era ballot for the first time.
This is the first year Johnson and Knaus are eligible. They’re among the 10 nominees on the Modern Era ballot, which also consists of:
- Neil Bonnett
- Tim Brewer
- Jeff Burton
- Carl Edwards
- Harry Gant
- Harry Hyde
- Larry Phillips
- Ricky Rudd
Brewer won two Cup Series championships as a crew chief. Hyde won the 1970 Cup title as a crew chief. Phillips was the first five-time NASCAR weekly series national champion and won over 220 NASCAR-sanctioned races.
Donnie Allison is on the Pioneer ballot for the first time. He joins the following nominees on that ballot:
- Sam Ard, NASCAR Xfinity Series pioneer and two-time champion
- AJ Foyt, won seven NASCAR Cup Series races including the 1972 Daytona 500
- Banjo Matthews, built cars that won more than 250 NASCAR Cup Series races and three championships
- Ralph Moody, two-time NASCAR Cup Series owner champion and one half of Holman-Moody
Two Modern Era nominees and a Pioneer nominee will comprise the Class of 2024.
For the Landmark Award, honoring outstanding contributions to NASCAR, longtime executive and former LA Rams linebacker Les Richter joins the ballot.
Richter was on the Hall of Fame ballot three times before the Hall created the award to honor those who have made significant contributions to NASCAR’s growth and esteem.
He joins the following nominees on the Landmark Award ballot:
- Janet Guthrie, the first female to compete in a NASCAR Cup Series superspeedway race
- Alvin Hawkins, NASCAR’s first flagman; established NASCAR racing at Bowman Gray Stadium with Bill France Sr.
- Lesa France Kennedy, NASCAR Executive Vice Chair
- Dr. Joseph Mattioli, founder of Pocono Raceway
The 61-member NASCAR Hall of Fame Voting Panel will meet, discuss and vote August 2 on the Class of 2024 and the Landmark Award. As the reigning Cup Series champion, Joey Logano will be the only new panel member.
Last year’s panel selected Matt Kenseth, Kirk Shelmerdine and Hershel McGriff for the Class of 2023 – and Mike Helton for the Landmark Award.
The 62nd vote will go to the winners of the fan vote, which is open until 12 a.m. ET/10 p.m. MT, July 30/29. Click here to vote.